The butterfly stroke in swimming is one of the 4 swimming styles or techniques that were competed in the Olympics. Being one of the popular swimming style techniques, this style is usually also known as the dolphin style. So-called because these butterfly-style movements are similar to dolphins.
To be able to do the movements correctly, swimmers, especially beginners, need to do the exercises from the basics. Besides the backstroke swimming technique, the butterfly stroke is a technique that is equally popular and the following can be seen and practiced how the steps in carrying out the movements. The explanation of the butterfly-style swimming technique can be seen as follows.
When using the butterfly stroke technique when swimming, it is necessary to start correctly. And to do so, the swimmer needs to do the starting position just above the start beam. Bend directly into the water where the knee also needs to bend slightly. Start can be done perfectly if the body position and movements are done correctly.
Baca Juga :
Correct Body Position
Correct Body Position In the butterfly stroke, the technique also includes the correct posture. The reason why posture is so important is that the perfection of movement is largely determined by it. When performing a movement, try to position your body as level as possible to balance the water surface.
It doesn’t matter if in our efforts there will be vertical up and down movements while practicing. Also, make sure that the up and down movement is also adjusted to the rhythm of the legs that we are stomping at the same time. Meanwhile, what is clear in this force movement technique, the body needs to be in a floating position.
Baca Juga :
When floating, your body should be face down and make sure that it is almost parallel under the water surface. Maintain this position starting from the head, shoulders, to the waist, and legs. As for the arms, both of them can be positioned above the head and the water line above the eyebrows. Keep your body as level as possible with the water to reduce the risk of resistance.
- Foot section. Especially for the feet, when stomping, the feet should not be made to hit too deep. If the punch is too deep, then usually additional pressure occurs to the front. Perform the leg kick by bending your legs first at the knee joints, then straightening them back more firmly.
- Head – After the feet, the head should be in a precise position where the head can be slightly raised until the mouth is above the water level and able to breathe easily. When you have taken a breath, your head must be lowered back and put into the water while maintaining your balance and body flat position on the water surface.
Arm Movement Technique
Arm Movement Techniques In the butterfly style technique, arm movements must be performed simultaneously between the left and right arms. Of course, to start with, we can first put both arms into the water to be able to then continue with the correct movements as below:
- Catch – When the body has entered the water and the arm has entered, move the arm outwards followed by a movement such as catching. Do this at the same time as the first downward lash.
- Down Sweep / Grabbing – When the catching motion has been made, the next movement that needs to be done is the grabbing motion. In the process, we can move the wrist as well as the elbow which has been slightly bent downwards and removed from the water and then continues to reach for the water.
- In-sweep / Pulling – Only then, we still need to continue with the pulling technique. In this movement, make sure to pull your hands in and also back under your head which is close to your body.
- Up-sweep / Push – Also, there is also a push motion which we need to do at the end of the pull. The trick is to push the arm backward and then proceed to get it out of the water again.
- Recovery – In this movement, the swimmer needs to do it after pushing the motion. For how swimmers can lift the elbows to the surface of the water. Continue with a circular motion of the shoulder joint where the objective is to move the arm forward.
Foot Movement Technique
Arm Movement Techniques In addition to arm movements, of course, if you want to become a professional swimmer you need to learn and train leg movements. Techniques in moving the legs are also needed to perform well and perfectly. The leg movements for this butterfly stroke are quite similar to the freestyle swimming technique; the only difference lies in the movement in the freestyle performed alternately, while the butterfly leg movements are performed simultaneously.
To study leg movements, what is important to know here is that leg motion is very important. The leg movement here means the focus of the movement that the swimmer does with the leg whip both up and down in a balanced manner. So, there are 2 types of lashes, namely the upward and downward movement of the foot lash.
For the upward lash, this is also called the recovery motion in which the leg is moved up to the surface of the pool water and the swimmer needs to do it 2 times in 1 arm rotation. Meanwhile, for the downward lash, swimmers can start by bending their hips while straightening their knees and legs, both of which are lashed down quickly.
Note that the flexible joint of the ankle, as well as the joint of the knee, will be critical for the downward lash. The following are some steps that can become an illustration for doing the correct leg movement technique:
- Try to keep the legs in a straight position, starting from the base of the foot to the tip of the foot.
- Movement of the legs can be done with the knees bent first but also not too bent or bent. Bend the knee just a little.
- Perform the kicking motion with the leg where the leg that was bent can straighten out again. The process of straightening the legs can be done vigorously, especially in the area of the instep.
- After the leg is kicked or in a downward pedaling position, straighten it again. Come back to the starting position after doing it.
Breathing Techniques: There are also breathing techniques after training yourself to do arm and leg movements. The process of taking a breath in a butterfly style while swimming can be done quite easily, although it is not as easy and comfortable as the breathing motion on the backstroke. Simply lift your head above the surface of the water to take a breath, but don’t raise your head too high in the process.
In the butterfly head lifting technique, do this at the end of each pull. When taking a breath, also try to raise your head slightly to the surface of the water, and when you are done lower your head again quickly below the water surface. This needs to be done with the aim that the front prisoners are not so big. Use your nose to drain the water right in the water.
Movement Coordination Technique
Coordination Movement Techniques Coordination techniques are not only found in backstroke movements because in butterfly style movements a coordination technique is also required that combines all techniques. The movement of the legs, arms, and breathing that is done simultaneously is called the movement coordination technique, which is also important to practice so that all movements are balanced and precise.
Leg plus arm movements need to be done appropriately, especially when the body moves up and down on the water surface. There must be 2 hard or weak leg turns on 1 arm rotation. When the movement of the foot pushes it is weak, whereas when making a leg kick it needs to be done hard.
Flipping Techniques: Flipping techniques are not only found in backstroke movements, but butterfly styles also require flipping techniques. For flips, the rules are known to be similar to breaststroke swimming. The hands in the initial position are on the wall of the pool and after the hands touch the wall together, then the body can be moved in reverse.
The two bent legs and the buttocks can be turned sideways and the hands can be removed one by one and straightened up to the face while doing as strong an opposing motion as possible on the wall. From this movement, the body can then slide forward in a straight posture and near the surface of the water where the leg can be moved more than once.
Several exercises are also needed to make the joints flexible, especially the ankles and waist. Not only that part but make sure you also train your leg movements properly so that the results and movement performance can be more perfect. Practicing arm movements is also very important so that the butterfly style looks so good.