The gas stove is a kitchen utensil that can be very useful on several occasions. For example in the event of a prolonged blackout at home or for example at a campsite or anywhere else you want to prepare a hot meal, no matter how remote it may be. There are many types of gas stoves, depending on their intended use or the type of gas used, among other factors.
The most common are portable gas stoves with two or three burners, also suitable for daily use. On the other hand, there are camping stoves, which can be carried in a pocket. What type are you looking for? Fear not, whatever your needs, this article will help you make the right choice!
Outdoor activities, such as hiking, camping or mountaineering, require us not to neglect our nutrition. Gas stoves are designed to make you eat hot food anywhere, no matter how remote the place you are. Throughout the article we will talk about the different types that exist.
Portable stoves run on butane, propane, isobutane or a mixture of these. Parts are cheap and easy to find. Their use has numerous advantages, such as ease of use or calorific value. While they are safe, some minimum safety standards must be followed.
When you have to choose a gas stove, you have to take into account the type of use you will make of it. You will also need to pay attention to the fact that this is a model compatible with universal gas containers. We will talk about these and other aspects in the final section of the article.
In this section we have chosen for you some of the gas stoves most appreciated by online shoppers. Some are intended for home use, while others are designed for outdoor cooking. Despite their differences, they all have one thing in common: they allow you to eat hot food just about anywhere.
- The best outdoor gas stove
- The best cast iron gas stove
- The most affordable gas cooker with multiple burners
- The cheapest gas stove
The best outdoor gas stove
The Campigaz cooker works with traditional gas cylinders, and reaches a power of 2200 W on a single burner. It has a gas safety lock and a knob to regulate its delivery. It is also sold together with a practical transport case.
Buyers express very positive opinions about it, especially appreciating its ease of use and recharge.
The best cast iron gas stove
The camping stove produced by Kemper is one of the best reviewed online, demonstrating remarkable power and build quality for an above average price. Despite having only one place, it is equipped with two burners to guarantee a maximum power of 8.6 kW, adjustable with the use of 3 taps.
The main structure is in cast iron, and measures approximately 41x31x7.5 cm. The product is very popular with buyers, so much so that they often buy 2; it is heavy, but the materials are good and it looks durable.
The most affordable gas cooker with multiple burners
A solution for those who need more burners even outdoors, the Melchioni gas stove has 3 burners and is available at a very affordable price. The base is made of aluminum and is equipped with feet, while the rest of the surface is black enamelled.
The grill is removable, to simplify cleaning, and each burner has its own knob to regulate its intensity. It’s not particularly powerful, but buyers buy it for the convenience of having more space to cook outside as well.
The cheapest gas stove
The most economical alternative of all is proposed by REEHUT, and is a gas stove to be screwed directly onto the camping cylinders. It reaches a maximum rated power of about 3000 W, is made of stainless steel and aluminum, is easy to use and weighs only 272 g.
Its dimensions are relatively small, and when not in use it can be folded to be stored in the small box included in the price. Buyers consider it a product with an excellent quality-price ratio, practical and functional, excellent to use in camping and beyond.
Shopping guide: Everything you need to know about the gas stove
Eating hot food, especially when we love outdoor activities, is essential to recharge our batteries. So, we shouldn’t forget to put a good gas stove in our backpack if we plan to spend several days camping. Do you have questions about its use or its safety? Below we will clarify these and other doubts for you.
What is a gas stove?
A gas stove is a portable utensil that is used to heat and cook food when we carry out some activities outside the home or in emergencies when the home kitchen has problems. It is normally used in camping, on climbing excursions, on the beach and any other place where a conventional kitchen cannot be used.Its structure is very simple. It consists of one or more burners, a support to place the container and a gas regulator, which can be butane, propane, isopropane or a mixture of the three. Normally use small gas cylinders or cartridges.
How many types of gas cookers are there?
The gas stove is usually categorized according to the type of fuel used. However, there is a wide variety of cookers based on their design and the type of use they are intended for. Let’s see the different types:
- Cooker with gas cartridges . Models of this type generally have a burner and a compartment to store the gas cartridge. It is a very versatile and easy to use type of stove, suitable for transporting on a camper, truck or small boat.
- Stoves with refillable cylinders . To understand, they are those stoves that use the typical blue or orange gas cylinders of all time. They have a greater capacity than gas cartridges, are refillable and easier to find than other types.
- Pocket gas stoves . This type of stove is ideal for camping or mountaineering. Many are also foldable and fit in one hand. You can find them both compatible with gas cartridges and cylinders. The best are those made of titanium alloy.
- Gas stove with legs . This type of stove has three legs – foldable in some models – and a hose to connect the gas cylinder.
- Portable hobs . These stoves have up to four burners and usually a cover that acts as a windbreak. They are the models that most resemble a conventional gas hob, which is why they are often used in country houses or apartments by the sea.
What fuel can a gas stove use?
Depending on the fuel used, there are three types of gas stoves: butane, propane and isobutane. Each gas offers a different performance and a different calorific value. Below we describe in detail the different types of cookers.
- Butane gas stove . It is the cheapest and easiest to find gas. It is sold in large capacity cylinders and in smaller cartridges or cylinders. Since its flame loses power when cold, its use is recommended at altitudes below 1700 meters and above 4ºC.
- Propane gas stove . Propane has a higher calorific value than butane gas, which makes it suitable for cooking even in intense cold. It is the preferred fuel for those who carry out activities in the high mountains.
- Isobutane gas stove . Isobutane is an organic compound that is used not only as a fuel but also as a refrigerant gas. Portable cooker isobutane containers contain a mixture of isobutane and propane, usually in an 80/20 ratio.
Most portable stoves are capable of running on any of these gases. However, it is always advisable to check the manufacturer’s technical specifications. Most cartridges and cylinders for this type of stove contain a mixture of two or three of these gases, in various proportions.
Why buy a gas stove?
Gas stoves are mainly associated with outdoor activities, such as camping. However, they have far more utilities and benefits, such as the ones we review below.
- Cooking at the campsite . Tabletop gas stoves with two or more burners are ideal for cooking while we enjoy a few days of camping.
- Cooking in the courtyards and on the terraces . If you have a courtyard, a garden or a large terrace, you can prepare an outdoor dinner by cooking on a portable gas stove.
- Ideal for hikers . Hiking doesn’t have to be at odds with hot food. Forget the typical cold sandwiches and prepare a tasty dish in one of these handy stoves.
- Cleaning. Using gas, this type of stove is cleaner than those that use liquid fuels such as alcohol or diesel.
- Great thermal capacity . Gas stoves have a high calorific value, greater than those that work with other types of fuel. They are therefore able to reheat food more quickly.
- Affordable. Gas cylinders are quite inexpensive and easy to find, especially if you choose a stove model that uses standardized cylinders.
- Easy to use . Current gas stoves are very easy to use. Most have piezo lighters, so you won’t need lighters or matches. In addition, the flame is very easy to adjust.
What precautions should I take to use a gas stove safely?
Combustion of gas consumes oxygen, so it is best to avoid cooking in unventilated places. Of course, don’t even think about doing it inside a tent. When you’re done cooking, separate the gas bottle from the stove – if it has a screw system – and store both of them outside the tent. You will thus avoid possible poisoning in the event of a gas leak.Gas stoves are generally designed for pans with a diameter of less than 20 cm and with a capacity of no more than one liter. If you use a larger pot, you run the risk of it overturning and you risk skipping a meal or worse, burning yourself. Also, when cooking, make sure the stove and saucepan are away from any fabric, such as that of your tent or sleeping bag.