Whether you opt for a minimalist kitchen or for the preparation of more complex dishes, it is always good to have a cutting board at hand. Because the cutting boards allow you to treat vegetables and fruit, as well as meat and fish, in a safe and comfortable way. Don’t deny it anymore and give it the importance it deserves. And if you’re not convinced, go ahead!.
The best cutting boards on the market: our selection
Because later we will reveal everything about the cutting board. Its simple element appearance hides a great versatility. For starters, there are many types of cutting boards. Mostly, this is determined by the material it is made from. Do you want to know more? Keep reading!.
- Bamboo cutting boards are a quality, inexpensive, and most importantly, environmentally friendly option.
- Plastic cutting boards are better resistant to moisture. They are also compatible with dishwashers, as well as offering more alternatives in terms of colors and finishes.
- To buy the cutting board you really need, you have to look at aspects such as size. We review this and other purchase criteria at the end of the article.
If you’ve already enjoyed the benefits of having a cutting board, but after a few months it ended up warping, or if you’re just looking for your first cutting board, you’ve come to the right place! Here are four of the best cutting boards available on the market today. Almost all of them are offered in attractive multi-piece packages.
- The best-selling plastic cutting board
- The best bamboo cutting board set
- The best premium wood cutting board
- The best glass cutting board
The best-selling plastic cutting board
Vicloon offers you a set of three professional cutting boards. Each of a different size, although they are all quite large. Since they are non-stick cutting boards, you will have no problem transferring food from the cutting board to the pan or any other container or utensil.
They are made of high quality non-porous polypropylene (PP), which places them among the best plastic cutting boards. They are dishwasher safe.
The best bamboo cutting board set
Blauke offers this pack of three high quality eco-friendly bamboo cutting boards. Because it is not just any bamboo, but natural bamboo. We say this because it is a dense, strong and very durable material. And it’s also environmentally friendly.
These 100% natural bamboo cutting boards are antibacterial, strong, durable and easy to clean. In addition, they are quite thin (1 cm thick), so it won’t be difficult to store them.
The best premium wood cutting board
Harcas’s proposal is considered the best versatile cutting board, which works great with meat, vegetables and bread. This option is made of high quality 100% eco-friendly bamboo, with a thickness of a good 2 centimeters and a size of 45 x 30 centimeters.
Thanks to the channel that surrounds the worktop and the practical grooves that allow easy lifting, this Harcas bamboo cutting board is considered the perfect alternative to cheap plastic cutting boards.
The best glass cutting board
Zeller offers this very high quality glass cutting board. Purchase includes two units of 52 x 30 cm. They are a great option as a cutting board, but also for presenting food, as their finish is very aesthetic.
In addition, they can be used as hob protectors. They have silicone feet that make them non-slip cutting boards. In addition, they are easy to clean and heat resistant up to 220/240 ºC.
Cutting boards don’t look like overly complex utensils. And they are not. However, depending on the material, they offer a number of certain advantages and disadvantages. Additionally, there are options focused on cutting out specific foods. You don’t always need a special model, but it doesn’t hurt to know how to get the most out of this tool.
How many types of cutting boards are there?
Whether you are looking for an affordable cutting board or a premium cutting board, one of the most important aspects to consider is the material. In this sense, there are different types of cutting boards. Normally the material does not affect in terms of versatility. Yes instead to ease of use and hygiene or maintenance. Let’s see what types of cutting boards are offered today:
- Wood: The wooden cutting board is the classic option. Virtually every home has or has ever had a wooden cutting board. Economical and resistant, however, it is porous and some models do not resist humidity well.
- Plastic: The plastic cutting board is a great option in terms of value for money. It is very easy to wash (dishwasher safe) and is more resistant than wood. Of course, opt for toxic-free plastics!
- Crystal or tempered glass – modern and highly aesthetic, but also more expensive. They are a little heavier, making them more difficult to handle. Of course, they are a less porous option and better resist knife blows.
- Marble: no one will deny the elegance of marble cutting boards, however, they are usually very expensive and their weight is considerable, which complicates their handling. Beyond that, their quality and resistance are beyond doubt.
What kind of wood is used for the cutting boards?
Wooden cutting boards are the most used, however, within these, there are different types. Not all woods have the same characteristics. Knowing the different alternatives in terms of wooden cutting boards can be practical. Here is a brief explanation of the three most popular wooden cutting boards in production:
- Olive: olive cutting boards are often used by professional chefs. So these are premium cutting boards. This type of wood is highly valued for its high quality, strength and silky feel. They are recommended for soft cuts, such as cheeses.
- Beech: If you are looking for a cutting board for everyday use and that is not harmful to your knife edge, buy a beech cutting board. Dozens of manufacturers sell beech wood cutting boards, a cheaper option than olive wood, but just as effective.
- Bamboo: Bamboo cutting boards are becoming more and more common, both because of their ease of manufacture (bamboo is extremely easy to obtain) and because of their sturdiness. In addition, bamboo cutting boards are generally eco-friendly and offer great antibacterial resistance.
Is a wooden cutting board better or a plastic cutting board?
|Wooden cutting boards||Plastic cutting boards|
|Stability||They don’t usually offer non-slip bases, but they’re heavy||Lighter than wooden ones, but with non-slip bases|
|Hygiene||More difficult to maintain, but with antibacterial properties.||Dishwasher safe. Easy to clean, but they tend to accumulate odors.|
How do you clean a cutting board?
Depending on the material your cutting board is made of, you will need to proceed one way or another for cleaning. Therefore, if you want to know how to clean a cutting board, be careful. Here’s how to briefly clean a wooden cutting board and a plastic cutting board. The reason? They are the two most common options on the market:
How to clean a wooden cutting board
- If it has significant stains, you can use kosher salt. After its application, do not forget to remove it with the help of warm soapy water.
- Remember to dry the wooden cutting board completely. Do not forget that wood is not very “friendly” to humidity. Not drying it could deform.
- To prevent the wood from degrading, you can periodically apply mineral oil to it.
- In case you need to disinfect it, you can try using some bleach with water. Again, we remind you that you should dry it quickly after cleaning.
How to clean a plastic cutting board
- To get rid of bad smells, you can use a mixture of salt and lemon. Let it sit and then rinse the plastic cutting board with warm water and a suitable detergent.
- Most plastic cutting boards are dishwasher safe, so it would be rare for you to have trouble keeping them in good condition.
- You can hand wash it with very hot water and dish soap. Next, make a mixture of half a liter of water and two teaspoons of bleach. Apply it to the plastic cutting board. Rinse it off and let it dry.